I was trained and mentored by Kim West, LCSW-C (a.k.a. “the Sleep Lady”) who has been helping tired parents for over 17 years. In 2012 I completed my second certification as a Baby & Maternity Sleep Consultant through the International Maternity and Parenting Institute.
The Gentle Sleep Coach Program is the first and most extensive professional sleep coach training and certification program available. The program involves over 80 hours of training with a faculty panel that includes 2 medical doctors, a psychologist, an attorney, lactation counselor, postpartum doulas and a family therapist. I had to pass an exam and participate in case supervision with Kim West, LCSW-C. Clinical supervision and ongoing advanced training are required to maintain certification as a Gentle Sleep Coach.
Some of my training topics have included:
Basic counseling and child development
Sleep Science and Behavioral Modification Techniques
Secure Attachment Theory
Supporting the Breastfeeding Mom.
Lectures from top specialists in the areas of:
Postpartum Depression from Dr. Shoshana Bennett, author and leading specialist on Postpartum Depression
Medical Conditions and Sleep Apnea in Children led by Dr Lewis Kass, Director of Children’s Sleep Center
Sensory Processing Disorders and Sleep by Jodi Jennings, OTLR.
The Gentle Sleep Coach Program also includes an exclusive advanced training series directly centered around how to gently work with babies 4 and 5 months of age. This program, which I have also completed, consists of over 40 hours of instruction and mentorship.
Some of the curriculum training topics include:
In depth knowledge of the delicate nature of infants under 6 months of age and how to consider all elements of their well-being.
Current evidence based guidelines and instruction on how to evaluate the 4-6 month old child and family and determine if the child is ready for sleep coaching.
Gentle sleep solutions and strategies that are effective and developmentally appropriate for the younger baby.
This specialty training is designed to give coaches the knowledge, education and all the tools and resources they need to successfully work with families of babies 4-6 months of age in a safe, healthy and developmentally appropriate manner.
Education and Training
- Gentle Sleep Coach Certification – Kim West, LCSW-C (2011)
- Maternity and Child Sleep Consultant Certification – International Maternity & Parenting Institute (2012)
- Trained Postpartum Doula (DONA)
- Trained Newborn Care Specialist
- SIDS for Health Care Professionals – American Academy of Pediatrics
- Infant Mental Health – The Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto
- The Clinical Psychology of Children and Young People -The University of Edinburgh
- Sleep: Neurobiology, Medicine, and Society – University of Michigan
- Waking Up Dry: Practical Strategies for Managing Nocturnal Enuresis with Howard Bennett, MD
- Adult Sleep, Pregnancy, Insomnia and More, Dr. Rosenberg, DO, FCCP
- Six Essential Skills every Parent Should Teach their Anxious Child, Renee Jain
- Montessori Principles, Darla Miller
- Potty Training, Sally Neuberger
- When Behavior Coaching Isn’t Working, Sarah McAllister- Naturopathic Doctor
- Understanding Children’s Temperament, Helen Neville
- Child Development and Attachment, Brandi Jordan MSW, IBCLC
- SIDS and other Sleep Related Infant Deaths: A Review of the Current Research and Recommendations, First Candle Organization
- Conscious Discipline, Becky Bailey, Ph.D.
- Cranial Sacral Therapy, Jodi Jennings, OTR/L
- Sensory Processing Disorders and Its Effects on Children’s Sleep, Jodi Jennings, OTR/L Medical Conditions Affecting Sleep, Dr. Lewis Kass
- Ruling Out Postpartum Depression, Dr. Shosh
- Reflux in Children and Sleep, Dr. Anthony Loizides
- Member of Association of Professional Sleep Consultants
- Bachelor Degree in International Relations
- Business Management and Leadership Degree